Tuesday, June 23

Uneventful No More

Suddenly weight gain isn't so important.

Went to the doctors yesterday expecting a pat on the back and a job well done.  Ha.  Immediately they did the internal u/s to check my cervix length.  What had been long, closed and perfect the past handful of times was very, very short.  As in just over a cm.  Insert heartattack here.

So, my doctor comes in with the opening line : "The question is whether or not to admit you into the hospital tonight... or wait a few days."  Apparently I'm dangerously close to having these babies.  And as he put it... babies at 23 weeks means no babies.  I cannot have no babies.

So, I'm at home on very strict bedrest til Friday.  Then I'm packing a bag, going for another appointment, and very likely being admitted to the hospital for steroids and a very long extended stay.  

Needless to say, we're shocked and I'm terrified.   I don't want to fail these babies.  He told me to call immediately with changes or anything or contractions.  I have never had a baby.... I don't know what those are!!!!!!  So, while I was terrified of the notion of the hospital, I'm actually anxiously looking forward to it simply because then I won't have to worry that I'll miss something.  I'll be constantly monitored and taken care of and these babies will be in the best possible hands.  

But I just hope and pray and wish that they'll hang on until at least 30 weeks. 

17 comments:

Infertility is Hard said...

Oh my gosh! I was not expecting to hear any of this. I am so sorry. I am praying that you make it a minimum of 30 weeks. And I hope on Friday you'll get some different (and better) news about the cervix. Thinking of you.

ashley said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! You simply have to be one big ball of stress right now. You do exactly as the doctor says and don't move a muscle until your appointment. I'm hoping and praying you can keep these boys in there. Wow, this is certainly a shock as everything seemed to be moving a long so smoothly. Well, try and stay positive and Pray Pray Pray and Pray some more. I'll be thinking of you! Keep us posted.

Sarah said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. Please take it easy and update us when you can. You are all in my thoughts.

Hugs!

Jenn said...

Wow, I too am shocked!! You stick like glue to that bed/couch girl!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your miraculous babies!!

Has there been talk of a cerclage?

Ashley said...

I was wondering the same thing as Jenn...what about a cerclage?? I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. You are in my prayers!! ((HUGS))

Shinejil said...

Oh shit. That's so scary and I'm so sorry you're having to face the fear and the bedrest. I'm very happy, though, that they caught it in time and that you'll have more than a fighting chance to keep those little guys cooking for a few more weeks.

I'll be thinking of you, and wishing you lots of good rest and distraction. You're going to make it!

juliane2004 said...

WOW! I did not expect to read that! I really hope everything calms down and the babies are just great! Don't be stressed - the babies feel what you feel!

Verna said...

Praying for you.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Oh crap! I hope that they've caught everything in plenty of time and can keep those babies in for many, many more weeks.

FYI they say that contractions may feel like menstrual cramps, if that helps. Contractions during labor can be more in the rectum.

Take care!

Carrie said...

Oh my! You, Johnny, and your two boys are in my prayers! Take care of yourself!

Melody said...

Definitely praying for you! First pregnancies are scary enough without ADDED stress.

Anonymous said...

oh lady i'm sure you must be terrified. i'm only about a week ahead of you with my twins and have been having contractions now for a few weeks. scary. the best way i can describe it is that it feels as if the babies have "balled up" and everything feels really tight and hard if you push on your belly. a lot of these can come with no pain and sometimes i don't even notice i'm having one until i touch my belly and am like, what the? these contractions can be really irregular and don't necessarily mean your body is going into labor either, only if they begin to get consistent (from what i've been told). not sure if that description will help. you're so in my thoughts. try to hang in there and just lie low.

Michele said...

As someone who has an incompetent cervix and has lost a set of twins and a singleton due to prematurity because of it, I am sending you many prayers and hope that they can get you into the hospital and safely deliver those babies many weeks from now. I am in another twin pregnancy now, and I had a cerclage placed at 11w to try and prevent preterm labor again.

I am praying for your babies and hope that things work out.

Chelle said...

Hey there, I'm here from LFCA and am currently pg with twins (19 weeks). I hope everything works out and that your babies hang out in there for a while longer.

thinking of you. (HUGS)

wifey said...

Hang in there girl! Good luck to you!

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Over from LFCA. Hang in there, I am praying that everything works out.

Hugs,
Rebel

Rose's Daughter said...

Hey, I'm visiting from Lost and Found. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts! Good luck!