Thursday, May 26

Birth Day!!!

Like I mentioned, I had been having pretty painful contractions- but still very irregular. I would time them at regular intervals but then in the end they would stop. The most frustrating part was that, while i felt them all the time at home, they very rarely showed up on the NST monitoring. The we had the growth scan/scare on the evening of the 24th. Afterwards, things were looking good, so while Johnny rearranged his closet (nesting? taking on my responsibilities?) I just hung around with him until about 12:30. Contractions had slowed down and I was feeling pretty good. RIght before I closed my eyes, Johnny asked "You're not going to have the babies today, are you???" I said no- and since it was already past midnight Johnny reminded him that "no babies today" meant no babies for 23.5 hours.

I laid down and pretty quickly drifted off. Johnny went to sleep around 2am. Then around 2:20am or so I woke up for no reason at all. As I was laying there I felt a popping sensation... and then I could feel the leaking. I laid there for a few minutes taking it all in and then woke Johnny. He was a wreck! Operating on just over 30 minutes of sleep, so he couldn't think clearly and he looked like a chicken with its head cut off. Finally, he was ready to go. I asked what he had done... he had TAKEN TIME to empty the dehumidifier in the basement. He also took the time to make a quick "facebook update". It was rather funny to watch him get ready!!

FInally we were on our way and got to L&D Triage around 4am. Afterwards, they took us in pretty quickly, monitored the healthy-feisty babies. I only showed a few contractions, but I don't believe that because I definitely felt some hard-core painful contractions that started in my back and wrapped to the front.

Anyways, they pushed me quickly through Triage and to the Recovery Room for L&D until my turn was up. They tried to start an IV, but it didn't work, so I had to get a good IV in and also have a blood draw. Then I met with Anesthesia and they explained the process of doing a mixed Spinal/Epidural. Then we were off. I was in the OR before 6am and they started. Johnny came in and our girls were both born...

Sydney Hope
May 25, 2011
4lbs 10oz
18 inches

Zoe Elizabeth
May 25, 2011
4lba 10.8oz
18 inches

Johnny kept up with the girls in their warmers to see how they were doing.

I was still splayed out as they began to clean up the section and to prep me for the removal of my cerclage. While the doctors were doing their things, some of the NICU nurses brought the babes to Johnny and me so I could see them. And Johnny even got to hold Sydney--- MINUTES after her birth!! Johnny already knew that we were having 2 girls... but it was a surprise to everyone else! I was SO shocked to hear they were both girls, but I am SO happy too.

Cuddle Time with Mama

Recovery went pretty well (and still is)... I wasn't in too much pain though I did get sick a few times. I'm not surprised about that even though I'm on a cocktail of various anti-nausea meds.

Around 9:30am I got wheeled up to see my BEAUTIFUL GIRLS. They already have such different personalities. Zoe is feisty and kicks and squirms constantly. Sydney seems more laidback and is always opening her eyes to take everything. She really reminds me of those first few days with Connor. Both girls are off oxygen completely. Sydney never even had it on at all. Zoe only got the cannula for a few minutes. So really, all they have is their IV lines for antibiotics (protocol) and then the heart/breathing/etc leads. It is truly amazing!

After visiting, we headed to my new room to get settled-- I drifted in and out of sleep as Johnny brought our parents up to see the babes in the NICU. Around 4 I managed to get out of bed and headed upstairs to visit my girls again. Afterwards 2 of my brothers and my brother's fiance came up to visit the girls. While they were there Johnny and I BOTH got to hold BOTH girls.

Pure heaven.

So I've been up to the NICU three times, I've pumped a few times, and I'm just generally feeling good. The girls are just so gorgeous I can't stand it!

So, that's kind of the condensed version I suppose.


Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations! Two girls! And they are both doing well! I am so very very happy for you. The girls are beautiful, and the names are too!

Kate said...

What a great post to start my morning!!! Congrats sweet Stace! Your girls are BEAUTIFUL! Love, Love, Love their names! Great job momma!!!

Samantha said...

Congrats on two girls!! I'm so happy for you!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Congrats on two perfect babies! Connor was looking out for them and for you. Welcome to the world, Zoe and Sydney!

Bridget said...

Congratulations! They are stunning!!

Jen: Proud Mom of 7 Adopted Miracle Blessings said...

So happy for you!!!

Ashley said...

Yay!!!! In thrilled for you girl!!! They are gorgeous!!!

Jamie said...

I am so glad to hear that everything is going well. :)

Catherine W said...

Aw they are SO precious Stace. Many, many congratulations to you, Johnny and Colby and welcome to the world little Sydney and Zoe. Remembering their dear older brother, Connor, too. Must be lovely to see the similarities between him and Sydney xo

Michele said...


Calmly Chaotic said...

I know this is very late but congratulations! Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's great to read about your recent delivery of your girls. I look forward to following along!