Tuesday, June 24

Hmm

Since September I've been struggling with the question of whether or not I should share this little "adventure" with my family (calling it an adventure makes it seem more exciting and less sad/frustrating...). Like I've said before, part of me wants to so that I have that support system, but part of me doesn't want to because I want the future pregnancy (there WILL be one...) to be a surprise to the grandparents-to-be. I also don't want to feel like I'm telling my family for pity or attention. Obviously they can't really DO anything, so that's not a logical reason for telling. (As Johnny says, what good is it going to do to tell them?) And really, although I consider myself very close to my mom and dad, I've never been very good at talking to them about very personal things. ALSO, I guess there is part of me that thinks they will think we're too young/not established enough to start a family (we don't have a house and I still need to start and finish grad. school). And I don't want to feel like I have to defend our decision.

Reading that I realized that I put a lot more CONS for telling them than I did PROS. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself out of it. I just need some advice...

Why have you told if you have? And why haven't you told if you haven't?

1 comment:

Bee Cee said...

Just catching up on all my reading.

I decided to tell the family and friends. It really helpes during IVF 1 but then I found it really hard that they wanted to talk about it when maybe I didn't. It put me under more stress and that wasn't good. Plus they never really understood what it was all about so stupid questions didnt help.

I now give evasive answers when they ask me how things are going.

Everyone is different so you have to do what you feel works for you.