Sunday, February 24

Baby Shower!



Today was my baby shower for baby #5.  It was supposed to snow pretty heavily, but things turned around and the ground was too warm or something and though it snowed pretty much for 24 hours nothing materialized on the ground.  I'm so glad because I hate driving in the snow.

Anyhow, the shower itself was nice and lowkey.   There were about 25 people there- mostly high school & college friends plus a few of my mom's friends, relatives, and the family I used to babysit for. An eclectic mix, but it worked.

We didn't really "need" anything so I mostly registered for updates of things we had.  New washcloths, a new bather seat, pump supplies, etc.  It was more about seeing people that I never see because we're so busy.  Like I said, it was nice.  And another reminder of who matters and who we can count on.

Where am I going with this?  All of my in-laws were invited.  Of those that were invited?  ZERO came.  ZERO.  Seriously?  Well, Johnny's family on his dad's side had an excuse-- one in in New Hampshire and they did really get snow that blocked her from leaving the house.  And his other cousin and his aunt were both in Virginia.  Together they chipped in and bought the new stroller we wanted.  And the New Hampshire cousin wrote my mom an apologetic email explaining the circumstances.

But the rest of Johnny's family on his mom's side?  His mom didn't come.  I already know that they (his parents) don't really like me.  (I'm too quiet, I don't appreciate their invasive & sometimes personal questioning) They never have, but this kind of drives up the tension for me a bit more.  None of his aunts or cousins came either.  And I feel like none of them can really blame the weather because it wasn't that bad and there was nothing taken off the registry that we didn't get, so it doesn't seem like anyone had purchased a gift and then didn't make it.  Though, yes, I know they don't have to buy off the registry.  Anywho.  It was just a bit of a kick.   I guess the point is that while I didn't need them there to have a good time (it was still fabulous), it kind of felt like it said a lot by them not being there.

I am going to really reserve judgement until Johnny can talk to his mom and see what happened or why she didn't come.  I suspect the reasons are that she got the invite late (it went out in the 2nd mailing due to stamps, but the rest of her family got the invites before her and she was upset) and that my mom didn't include her in the process (it was my mom's thing... if this is the reason then she needs to get over it, right?) so it was her way of showing how she felt.  But we'll see.

And I have zero pictures so I'm really hoping my mom and sister-in-laws took some good ones!

And since I keep promising pictures here are a few randoms...


How cute is he?  And the alligator hat cracks me up!



I think this is where Syd decided she was ready to take on the world.
All while wearing socks as gloves.  :)


Zo-bers showing off her cheeeeeeese face.


And my three loves all together.




1 comment:

Jen said...

So happy for you!!! Please don't let his family get you down..."The best revenge is living a great life..." My husband shared this quote with me many times as I sobbed about my relatives...none came to see Baby Kate in the hospital...not my two brothers or their wives who live 20 minutes away...probably dive by the hospital on the way to work and home each day... Thanks for the updated photos- the kids are too cute!!!

Hugs!!!